905-279-7000 jim@jameswalker.ca

James B.

Walker & CO.

Licensed Insolvency Trustee

Call us at

(905) 279-7000


A winning team at your side

How do I become bankrupt?

You become bankrupt upon the appointment of your Licensed Insolvency Trustee by an Official Receiver, a person who works in the Office of the Superintendent of Bankruptcy. From that moment on, you lose all your rights to deal with your assigned assets. All...

read more

Who will know about my bankruptcy?

Within 5 days after your Trustee receives the Certificate of Appointment from the Official Receiver, your Trustee sends a Notice to Creditors, which notifies all creditors about the fact your bankruptcy has occurred; the possibility of a First Meeting...

read more

How is my Licensed Insolvency Trustee appointed?

The most common method of filing bankruptcy is for you to file an Assignment In bankruptcy.  You choose your Trustee to act in your Assignment.  You choose the filing date, at which time all the documents are signed. Your Trustee delivers some of...

read more

How much does filing bankruptcy cost?

The cost of filing a first time bankruptcy are set out under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act. Therefore, the cost of filing your bankruptcy should be the same anywhere in Canada.   There are several minimum direct costs associated with filing...

read more

How do I file bankruptcy?

You must meet in person with your Licensed Insolvency Trustee to obtain:  ✔   an assessment of your current circumstances,  ✔   a discussion of your options or alternatives,  ✔   a...

read more

Can I file bankruptcy?

Before answering that question, your Licensed Insolvency Trustee must determine if you are insolvent.  By definition, an insolvent person is an individual, or a corporation:  ✔ who is not bankrupt,  ✔ who lives or carries on...

read more

How do I file a Consumer Proposal?

A Consumer Proposal may only be filed under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act using a Licensed Consumer Proposal Administrator.  You choose your Licensed Administrator to act in your Consumer Proposal.  You choose your filing date, at which time all the...

read more

What happens at my Initial Assessment meeting?

When you find yourself in financial difficulty and you are uncertain what to do, meeting with a Licensed Administrator should be your first step on your road to financial recovery.  A LicensedAdministrator is your best resource when you are faced with a...

read more

Who administers my consumer proposal?

A Licensed Consumer Proposal Administrator / Licensed Insolvency Trustee administers your consumer proposal.  The most common method of filing a proposal is for you to file Consumer Proposal under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act in Canada.  You choose your...

read more