905-279-7000 jim@jameswalker.ca

James B.

Walker & CO.

Licensed Insolvency Trustee

Call us at

(905) 279-7000

A Consumer Proposal may only be filed under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act using a Licensed Consumer Proposal Administrator. 

You choose your Licensed Administrator to act in your Consumer Proposal.  You choose your filing date, at which time all the documents are signed. Your Licensed Administrator then delivers some of the signed documents to the Official Receiver who works for the federal government in the Office of the Superintendent of Bankruptcy.

It is the Official Receiver who accepts your Consumer Proposal filing and appoints your Licensed Administrator. The appointment is classified as a Court appointment. Your Licensed Administrator’s appointment legally starts your Consumer Proposal. 

The date of your Consumer Proposal, is the date your Licensed Administrator files the Proposal with the Official Receiver. 

It is interesting that although you choose your Licensed Administrator, your Licensed Administrator does not work for you. Your Administrator does not work for your creditors either. A Licensed Administrator is licensed by the Superintendent of Bankruptcy to administer Proposals under the provisions of the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act. 

A Licensed Administrator is an independent Officer of the Court.